If you utilize Google Analytics UTM tracking, a tracking string can be appended to each of the links in your emails. Setting this up in Email Settings allows you to set default Tracking Parameters for all your emails. However, you can still edit the tracking parameters to customize for each email.
There are five parameters you can set:
- Campaign Source – The platform (or vendor) where the traffic originates, like Facebook or your email newsletter.
- Campaign Medium – You can use this to identify the medium like Cost Per Click (CPC), social media, affiliate or QR code.
- Campaign Term – You’ll use this mainly for tracking your keywords during a paid AdWords campaign. You can also use it in your display ad campaigns to identify aspects of your audience.
- Campaign Content – If you’re A/B testing ads, then this is a useful metric that passes details about your ad. You can also use it to differentiate links that point to the same URL.
- Campaign Name – This is just to identify your campaign. Like your website or a specific product promotion. Here’s an example screenshot with the campaign names you might see when you navigate to Traffic Sources >> Sources >> Campaigns.
To add Tracking Parameters, click on the blue “Add” button on the right side of the row labeled Tracking Parameters.
After clicking the “Add” button, you will see the prompt below:
Before you click “Add” within this prompt, make sure you have the correct tracking parameter specified first. It will add what is selected in the dropdown list.
To change the parameter, click the dropdown list and choose the correct parameter and then click “Add.”
As you add each parameter, you will see them listed out in the prompt (shown below). Keep selecting and adding parameters as needed. You can add up to five.
After five parameters have been added, the dropdown list is no longer available.
- Now that parameters are added, you can now enter default values and enable them.
- To enter the values, click in the text box under default value for each parameter.
- Once the default values are entered, toggle each parameter to “enabled”.
- Once the Action buttons are enabled and the default values entered, you can enable the “Append Tracking Parameter” option at the top of the prompt.
- This adds these default values to each email/link in your emails. Again, you can change these defaults when selecting the properties within each specific email when designing the creative and going through the Send process.
- Click the “Save” button at the bottom to save your new settings.
After saving, you will be brought back to the settings page and you will see the parameters you have added: